Re: log file rotation in hamm...

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Alan Su wrote:

: OK, both Norman and Shaleh didn't understand my question.  i can only
: conclude that i'm an idiot.  =)  here's a second shot:

No, you're no idiot.  I may be, however, for not understanding the
question completely.

: these are the output of 'syslogd-listfiles' and
: 'syslogd-listfiles --weekly':
:
:   alsu# syslogd-listfiles
:   /var/log/syslog
:   alsu# syslogd-listfiles --weekly
:   /var/log/messages
:   /var/log/mail.warn
:   /var/log/mail.err
:   /var/log/mail.info
:   /var/log/uucp.log
:   /var/log/lpr.log
:   /var/log/user.log
:   /var/log/ppp.log
:   /var/log/kern.log
:   /var/log/auth.log
:   /var/log/mail.log
:   /var/log/daemon.log
:   /var/log/debug
:
: /etc/cron.daily calls 'syslogd-listfiles' and concludes that
: /var/log/syslog should be rotated daily.  /etc/cron.weekly calls
: 'syslogd-listfiles --weekly' and rotates all the other logs on a
: weekly basis.

Correct :)

: the change i want to make is to rotate /var/log/syslog on a *weekly*
: basis, rather than a daily basis.  as Shaleh points out, this
: particular modification can be accomplished by simply moving
: /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd to /etc/cron.weekly/sysklogd2 or something.

Hmm, I think the better way would be to comment out the following lines
in /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd

    for LOG in `syslogd-listfiles`
    do
       if [ -f $LOG ]; then
          savelog -g adm -m 640 -u root -c 7 $LOG >/dev/null
       fi
    done

and then adding those lines to /etc/cron.weekly/sysklogd.

I hadn't noticed that `syslogd-listfiles -w' didn't include syslog as
one of the files to rotate.

: i claim this isn't the Debian Way, but rather a hack.  for example,
: how would one make /var/log/messages rotate daily rather than weekly?
: i would like a way for  'syslogd-listfiles' and
: 'syslogd-listfiles --weekly' to output something like the following:
:
:   alsu# syslogd-listfiles
:   /var/log/syslog
:   /var/log/messages
:   alsu# syslogd-listfiles --weekly
:   /var/log/mail.warn
:   /var/log/mail.err
:   /var/log/mail.info
:   /var/log/uucp.log
:   /var/log/lpr.log
:   /var/log/user.log
:   /var/log/ppp.log
:   /var/log/kern.log
:   /var/log/auth.log
:   /var/log/mail.log
:   /var/log/daemon.log
:   /var/log/debug
:
: it seems to me that there should be a way to do this, but currently it
: requires an act of god, or at least some really gross changes to
: /etc/syslog.conf which will probably change the way stuff gets logged.
: (i admit, i don't really understand what facilities and priorities
: are, which is what syslogd-listfiles uses to decide when things need
: to be logged.)

The sysklogd script in /etc/cron.daily suggests you call
`syslogd-listfiles' and run it through grep.

: looked at it another way, my question could be, "why doesn't
: syslogd-listfiles have it's own config file which describes directly
: when things should be rotated, rather than inferring that from
: /etc/syslog.conf?"

I agree that this would be the optimal solution.  Perhaps one of us
should code it? :)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104