Re: log file rotation in hamm...

Nathan E Norman wrote (Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:51:59 -0500 (CDT) ):
|>On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Alan Su wrote:
|>
|>: I just installed hamm, and I noticed that the log file rotation in
|>: /etc/cron.{daily,weekly}/sysklogd now uses a facility called
|>: syslogd-listfiles.  does anyone know how to change the periodicity
|>: with which logs are rotated?  most notably, i want to rotate syslog on
|>: a weekly, not daily basis, but it seems that there's no way to make
|>: syslogd-listfiles to do the right thing without munging
|>: /etc/syslog.conf in unspeakable ways.
|>:
|>: anyone got a solution?  thanks...
|>
|>Comment out the following lines in /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd
|>
|>for LOG in `syslogd-listfiles`
|>do
|>   if [ -f $LOG ]; then
|>      savelog -g adm -m 640 -u root -c 7 $LOG >/dev/null
|>   fi
|>done
|>
|>(Try running `syslogd-listfiles' - you'll notice that "/var/log/syslog"
|>is the output)

Yea, i tried this first to see what it did, and you're right it spits
out /var/log/syslog.  my question was basically: how do you modify the
behavior of syslogd-listfiles?

|>If you don't want ANY logs rotated on a daily basis, remove
|>/etc/cron.daily/sysklogd, or add an "exit 0" to the beginning of that
|>file.

Well, this is only half the solution; if i simply exit the script
without doing anything, i don't get the daily rotations.  however, i
don't get the weekly ones either (which is what i want).

-alan