Re: Question about screen size in X and questions about Netscape

Nico Fritschi wrote:

> My next question is about Netscape 4.05 . When i set up my mail and news
> server i always get the message "unknown host mail.gmx.de" or
> "news.gmx.de". I tried that on- and off-line but both did not work. Do I
> have to list them in a config file somewhere?

it could be that u haven't a resolv.conf file with the dns ; but it coul be that is a
netscape bug .try to setup mail and news adresses while you're connected on internet ;
in netsc 3.01 gold it works!

> My last question is a bit off topic. I'm a newbie in the Linux world and
> would like to change totally from this toy os Windoze to Linux. On both
> systems I use Netscape 4.05 and i want to use my mail and news files in
> my mail and news directories which i got from Netscape (windows) in my
> linux Netscape. Momentarily a got a fat 16 partition which I mount and
> on which i got my mail and news files, so i changed the directory setup
> in Netscape (linux) to these dirs. But nothing happened. Has someone
> done this already and can help me?

it's not as simple as u think 'cause file in ms-dos or w95 partition has the ^M .so
the inbox in which u would like to append the mail and news is seen by linux with a
lots of ^M which give problem to nets.
on the other hand if u append to inbox-msdos some mail with netsc-linux u could have
problems with netsc-w95 while reading mail u get in linux .
i can suggest u to have 2 inbox  one on linux and the other on fat 16 ... if u like to
see under linux inbox-msdos  type    from linux

tr -d '\015' < inbox-msdos   >>/var/spool/mail/......your username usually root

that's a filter which read the inbox-msdos and copy it without ^M on to the mail of
linux ..
after that u can use pine mail , elm to see your inbox-msdos .

that's the only thought i can give u !!

samuele tonon