IDE tape

I have a client who is running Debian 1.3.1 on a pentium box with a Seagate
STT8000A tape drive and IDE disk and CDROM.  I have been assured that the
tape is installed as a slave drive on the same controller as the IDE disk,
and is jumpered properly.  Debian was "installed" for him by the hardware
vendor, who apparently just installed base, answering "no" to all
questions.  I built a new 2.0.33 kernel with ide tape support and had him
install it (I'm doing all this by telephone and snail mail).  He sees ide
tape mentioned in the boot messages now, but says that he can't get the
tape to do anything.  He's tried running his 'Lonetar' tape software, and
also tried 'cat /dev/ht0'.  I got him trying a few more things now.  I had
him run 'MAKEDEV ht0' and 'MAKEDEV nht0': no help.

He tells me that he does get a reaction from the tape when he prods
/dev/rft3, but that lonetar won't accept rft3 as a device.

Can someone who has had experience with IDE tape and/or the STT8000A give
me some advice?
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)