Re: Telnet

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Remco van de Meent wrote:

: On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Tomt wrote:
:
:  : One thing I have noticed is that I cannot login as root across a telnet
:  : connection.
:
: Edit /etc/securetty, which defines the tty's you can login from as root.
:
:  : Anyone tell me why?  And if its possible to change that to were I can login
:  : through telnet?
:
: This is something for /etc/hosts.deny, from the tcpwrappers (man
: hosts_access).

One option that no-one's mentioned yet is ssh.  With ssh you will be
able to log in as root and your session will be encrypted, which lessens
the chance someone will sniff your traffic and do Bad Things.

Of course, if someone knew the root password, they could log in via ssh,
so using /etc/hosts.deny or /etc/hosts.allow is a good idea.  I'm
assuming Debian's ssh package has tcpd support enabled ... (probably
ought to check that).

In any case, using sudo or su is the sane thing to do.  I'm pretty hard
on the other admins around here if they do all their work as root :)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104