Dselect doesn't install from non-free or contrib

I am trying to install a 2.0 beta system from mounted filesystem,
/usr/debian which has subdirs main, non-free and contrib.  Dselect
sees everything, even gives a reasonabe package count in each of the
three areas (> 1500 in main, in the hundreds for each of non-free and
contrib, as I recall).  When I go to select individual packages,
everything seems to be there.  When it gets to actually installing,
however, it appears to quietly skip over everything in non-free and
contrib -- no explanation.  The dpkg manpage says for --yet-to-unpack
              "Searches  for  packages  selected for installation,
              but  which  for  some  reason  still  haven't  been
              installed."
and I have
# dpkg --yet-to-unpack
 19 packages, from the following sections:
   contrib/misc (1)   contrib/net (1)   contrib/sound (1)   contrib/tex (1)
   contrib/web (1)   non-free/comm (1)   non-free/games (1)
   non-free/graphics (5)   non-free/libs (1)   non-free/sound (1)
   non-free/tex (1)   non-free/text (2)   non-free/x11 (2)
But, what is the reason and how do I get it to install these packages?

Liam