Re: Fvwm2 and Debian menu

Curt Daugaard <cld@mcs.net> writes:

> I like the design of the Debian menu package, and I'm trying to
> follow the docs to get auto-updating of menus under X, but I seem
> to have hit a roadblock.
>
> I use Fvwm2, and according to the comments in system.fvwm2rc
> and the Fvwm2 docs--in the Debian package, compliant with the
> menu package--FvwmButtons (formerly "Good Stuff") is set
> up so that the user can easily override the defaults.  But it
> looks like the menudefs.hook, autogenerated by the menu-package,
> is determined to invoke "DebianFvwmButtons," which stubbornly
> overrides any configuration the user attempts.

Well, you don't have to start your FvwmButtons from the menu - you can
just start it automatically (assuming you always want it to be there);
on one account on my machine, this is done by putting all the
customization into post.hook and a call to 'Module FvwmButtons' in
init-restart.hook.

If, however, you want it in the menu you can always put it in yourself
with an AddToMenu command in post.hook; modifying the menu entry
itself (by changing /usr/lib/menu/fvwm2) gets wiped by a new fvwm2.
This has the problem that the DebianFvwmButtons is still there...

The best solution is probably to use
DestroyModuleConfig DebianFvwmButtons
in post.hook and then listing the entries one wants.

Of course, since this command exists, one wonders why the author of
the fvwm2 config used DebianFvwmButtons to begin with...