Re: Mouse movement weirdness with latest X packages

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Ken Lauffenburger wrote:
>

> > Any suggestions or clues would be quite appreciated.
> >

> What brand and model of mouse are you using?

> > Also, on a related note, what is the purpose of changing the TERM variable
> > to "xterm-debian" ?  I'm planning on changing it back on my system unless
> > there is some benefit that I haven't discovered yet.  The problem I have is
> > when I establish an ssh session to my Sun machine at work, it doesn't
> > understand "xterm-debian" and I have to set the TERM variable to "xterm" to
> > get any useful work done.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> The terminfo entry for xterm-debian can be copied directly to a Solaris
> machine without modification.
>
> Copy /etc/terminfo/x/xterm-debian on the linux box to
> /usr/share/lib/terminfo/x/xterm-debian on the Solaris box or have your
> sysadmin do it if you do not have root on that machine. Also, you can cut
> and paste the termcap entry in /etc/termcap for xterm-debian to
> /etc/termcap on the Solaris box.

I did this on my former ISP's Solaris box by setting
export TERMINFO=$HOME/.termcap
Then copy the xterm-debain file to $HOME/.termcap/x/xterm-debian
on the Solaris box.

This causes the $HOME/.termcap directories/files to be
searched before the system termcap files. So it works
reguardless of where you login. See the ncurses man
page for details.

(Actually I did this with the linux terminal definition,
but it should work with xterm-debian also.)

*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*   that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *
* W. Paul Mills              *  Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A.              *
* EMAIL= paul@mills-usa.com  *  WWW= http://mills-usa.com/          *
* Bill, I was there several years ago, why would I want to go back? *