RE: 2 Xsessions?, 2 graphics cards?

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Ted Harding wrote:

> On 20-Jul-98 Stuart Marshall wrote:
> > Is there some way to run more than one X session on my debian PC?
> >
> > Ideally I would do something like run an 8-bit depth xdm session
> > that logged me into a remote sun computer and a second X session
> > that is 16-bit depth that is my local session.  If it requires a
> > second video card it is no problem.  I would then be able to switch
> > between the two sessions via ALT-F7, ALT-F8 or something.
>
> The following should do what I think you're asking for:
>
> With no X up at all,
>
> 1. From your local machine (say on tty1) do
>
>    startx -- -bpp 16 &
>
> This should start a 16-bit X session on your local machine (on VT-7). Now
> do Alt-F1 to get back to tty1.
>
> 2. Still from your local machine, and from tty1, do
>
>    startx -- :1 -bpp 8 &

If you're using xdm to logon to your computer, you should also be able to
have one xdm-loginscreen directly connected to that sun machine, and the
other to your local box. I *think* the only thing required is to put a
line like '1: local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -bpp 8' in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.

Can somebody with more knowledge of xdm-workings please comment on this?

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |