Re: Configuring GNOME v.20?

Maarten Boekhold wrote:

>         Ok, I've got a .xinitrc file that starts a window-manager et. al.
> > However, X's startup sequence seems to be dysfunctional;  it no longer
> > reads /etc/X11/Xresources automatically.  I have to include an xrdb line
> > in .xinitrc to force it to read Xresources.  I never used an .xinitrc
> > file before.  Before installing GNOME everything worked fine.  Does
> > GNOME effectively require every user to have an .xinitrc file?  Is
> > anyone using it without an explicit .xinitrc file?
>
> You use 'startx' to start X? Have a look at /etc/X11/init/xinitrc (I
> think) and see which files from your home-dir it uses.
>
> Maarten

	Ok, I've found the problem.  GNOME probably didn't have anything to do
with it; I also upgraded my X from 3.2.2-1 to 3.2.2-2, or similar, at
the same time I installed the GNOME apps, maybe it was the X upgrade
that did this.  I'm not sure; I still don't know what caused this.
Anyway, you were right, the symlink /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc that points
to /etc/X11/Xsession was gone.  Adding it back fixed the problem.
Thanks for the help.

--
Ed