Re: cfdisk problem during installation

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Jonathan Hester wrote:

> During installation of Debian Linux 1.3, I am getting the following error
> message when the installation software tries to partition my hard drive:
>
> 	FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition
> 	Press any key to exit fdisk

Hi,

Sometimes, cfdisk has a problem with disks without a preexisting partition
table or with a messed up one.  In those cases, you should use fdisk
instead.

During installation, don't use the disk partitioning step that the
installation program provides, but instead press ALT+F2 and press enter.
Now you're in a shell.  Type fdisk and partition the disk.  When you're
ready, press ALT+F1 and you're back to the intallation program.

Just for the record, could you tell us some more about the disk, is it a
pristine disk without any previous partitioning or does it have another OS
on it?

Cheers,

Joost