Re: ISP logon problems

Thanks for the reply.  I'll check the issues you raised this evening
when I get home from work.

I appreciate the help.

	Russ

Russell Cook, Engineering Branch
WSR-88D Operational Support Facility
(405)366-6520 x4237
russcook@icon.net, rcook@osf.noaa.gov

----------
> From: Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>
> To: RUSSELL COOK <russcook@icon.net>; 'debian-user@lists.debian.org'
> Subject: Re: ISP logon problems
> Date: Wednesday, July 15, 1998 8:51 PM
>
> On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 07:43:45PM -0500, RUSSELL COOK wrote:
> > I have two (unrelated) problems logging on to my ISP.
> >
> > 1)  Using pon, I often have to connect 3 to 4 times before I can ping
the
> > outside world, although I can ALWAYS ping my ISP.  Also, I can ALWAYS
use nslookup to find addresses for other hosts.  This is extremely
annoying.
> > If I can connect, and I can ping my ISP, and I can nslookup the rest of
the
> > world, why can't I access other hosts?  I have sent email to
support@myisp,
> > but thought I'd check with this group to see if anyone has had this
problem.

> After you login (but it does not work), what does route show?
> Perhaps the default route is not being set for some reason, or is being
> set wrongly. Although the latter is not likely, because it would break
> any Win95 user who has `use default gateway on remote network' enabled.
>
> > 2)  Diald does not make good connections.  /var/log/diald.log simply
states that the connect script failed - no explanations.  plog connects
flawlessly

hmoffatt@mail.com
> Latest Debian packages at ftp://ftp.rising.com.au/pub/hamish.
PGP#EFA6B9D5