Re: its not a dos partition?

John Martin wrote:

> I tried creating a second primary dos partition with linux' fdisk since
> dos' won't let me have more than one primary. (my first clue maybe)

Dos won't let you create more than one primary partition when one is already set
'active' (bootable). Dos's fdisk won't let you set an active primary partition to
non-active so that you can create another primary partition so you must use a
different utility to do this first (such as linux's fdisk). Once you've done that,
Dos's fdisk will let you set whichever primary partition you want active to 'active'.

> Then I format with dos. Mother MUST have her
> dos/window3.1/I-won't-give-95. Dos can read and write to that partition
> but linux says notdos/other error when I try to mount.

I'm not 100% clear on what you are saying here but if you mean you've already
installed linux and are trying to mount a dos partition then you must make sure that
you have dos fat filesystem support compiled into the kernel either directly or as a
module. To do this, download the 'kernel-source' and 'kernel-package' packages and:

$ cd /usr/src/kernel-source*
$ make menuconfig

During this step you must enable 'native languages support' in the filesystems part to
make the various dos filesystem types appear.

$ make-kpkg kernel-image
$ cd ..
$ dpkg -i kernel-image*

That should do it.