Re: cirrus logic/sparklies (newbie)

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Bruce Mardle wrote:

> > I'm having problems setting up X which I think are due to
> > my graphic card settings. I have what I thought was a pretty
> > standard card which the drivers are there for. The card has
> > a Cirrus CL-GD5446BV with 2 MB of ram. Superprobe identifies
> > both ok. I used xf86config to set up the configuration file

I have found a lot of help from the following places. I do not have
everything working as expected but it works a little. The problem has to
do with Cirrus Logic and not there not being enough people to code their
chips in X. Well to cut a long story short see the Xservers documentation
on Cirrus Logic and also check the following sites:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------Try
specifying chipset clgd5436 in place of 754x.  It worked
for me on a Gateway Solo2100 laptop with a 7548.  Here's my
XF86Config:

# This file is derived from Gordon Chaffe's
(chaffee@odie.CS/Berkeley.EDU)
# web page
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/index.html#xfree86_cirrus
#
# This works for me with a Cirrus Logic 7548 on a Gateway
Solo 2100 Laptop

and also

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town	       	    http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa    (w) 27+21+650 2816   (h) 27+21+705 8469