Re: remote print-server

On Sat, Jul 11, 1998 at 06:46:37PM -0500, Greg Norris wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone can give me a quick rundown on what's needed
> to make debian a remote print-server for another unix system?  We have 2
> AIX boxes at work (versions 4.1 & 4.2), and as the unofficial
> administrator of our single Linux system, I'm supposed to work with our
> support staff to set this up.

I've got this setup at work (although it's more complex there because I pipe
my main printer output through two filters before sending it to the printer).

I assume you have printing working fine on the Debian box?  Then I think all
you need to do on the Debian box is to add in the allowed hosts to
/etc/lpd.hosts.

On the AIX box, run smitty, then "print spooling", "add a print queue",
"remote", "standard", then fill in the blanks:

name of queue (what you want it called on the AIX box)
hostname (debian box name)
name of queue on remote server (lp normally - look in /etc/printcap)
type of print spooler on remote server (BSD)
description  :-)

Adrian

Adrian Bridgett <bridgett@uk.ibm.com>
Internal: 7-245528  External: 01962-815528