Re: Xconsole vs "security"

Ionut Borcoman at debian wrote:

> What to do if my password is in "pap-secrets" ? I can always see it in
> my xconsole window ! If I simply add an \q in pap-secrets at
> MyISPpasswd, the pppd will try to use qMyISPpasswd instead to hide it.
> (I also use KDE and like xconsole as it monitors my the connection. I do
> not like it shows it so open.).

Most likely, you have used pppconfig to configure your connection.  By
default it turns on debug mode which will display your password as
cleartext.  Look in /etc/ppp/provider and see if this is so.  If not, it
might be defined in your global /etc/ppp/options file.

Isn't this behavior of pppconfig potentially undesirable?  Shouldn't it
default to debug mode being turned off?

--Damon