Re: Upgrade problems..

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Gregory Guthrie wrote:

> Bob, thanks for the information..
>
> I wish this was in the autoup.sh documentation!

In addition to autoup.sh, there is the libc5-libc6 mini-HOWTO, which
should be required reading, even for those using the script.

> Watching the recent traffic on upgrade problems, and issues makes me wonder..
> One concluded that it isin't automatic, and you really have to know all the
> dependencies, that dselect will only have shallow knowledge of local
> dependencies.

As I understand, apt can handle dependencies a bit better than dselect.
If you install apt, it appears as an additional method for deselect, so
you can still use dselect.  It also supports http, which seems to work a
bit faster (no login, max ftp users, etc.)

> This raises the question, how much Unix expertise do you need to be able to
> live with Linux, Debian..?

Well I started with practically none (a UNIX for Dummies book, in fact).
I've learned a lot in the last 3+ years of using Linux (Slackware, Red Hat
and Debian), but I've still got a lot to learn.  This list itself has been
a real asset in the process.

> In fact, a lot of the dependencies are not Unix general, but specific to a
> particular environment, Emacs, man, troff, X11, etc...
>
> Are we at the simplest way? what is next? I know our Solaris system does
> not have any upgrades this complex. I am not sure how they manage their
> upgrades...

The rexx->bo upgrade was nowhere near as complex as bo->hamm.  Libc6
increased the complexity of the upgrade immensely.  I would expect the
upgrade to slink will go much more smoothly.

Bob

----