Re: Upgrade problems..

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Gregory Guthrie wrote:

> I just did an upgrade bo --> hamm using autoup.sh.
>
> Amazing. But, there are a number of steps which left me cold; and flipping
> a coin for the right action.
>
> 1) during the autoup it had several "conflicts", adn it was not clear to me
> if I needed to do anything about them. E.g. I think it tried to remove
> something that depended on Perl, but I had perl installed, or something...
>     "dependency problems .. libwww-perl depends on Perl, but perl is not
> installed.
>               ...                                      libnet
>
> Anyway, there was no clear indication if all was OK, if it was a comment,
> or if some remedial action was needed (later).,

Take a look at the autoup.sh script itself.  It should give you
a fairly clear picture at what it is attempting to do and possibly the
means to understand what is happening here.

> 2) After update, it says "now use dselect to upgrade the rest of your
> system", then reboot.
>
> ?? How do I know what to upgrade? I would like to say; "whatever needs an
> upgrade, if I have it installed, do it."
> Instead, I had to go through dselect, look at hundreds of packages, try to
> remember which I had selected, and decide if they need update. Am I missing
> something here?

You need to run [A]cess to change from stable to dists/frozen/main,
dists/frozen/contrib, dists/frozen/non-free.  Then run [U]pdate to get the
Packages files corresponding to frozen.

Then when you run [S]elect, you will see a large list of new and updated
packages.  It should indicate that the updated packages, which are all the
packages currently installed for which there are new hamm versions, have
been selected for upgrading.

At this point, you should probably run [I]nstall without changing
anything, but you might want to see if anything you do not want/need is
marked for installation (it does happen).

You might have to run [I]nstall more than once to resolve things.

Bob

----