ACK! file ownership screwup!

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

Ok now I pulled a "Good One".
My hard dirve "died" 2 days ago...it was at 3 am...so I went to bed=20
The next day I boguht a new drive on my way home from work (just slightly
larger one) My thought was to restore form my month old backups and be
done with it...

to my surprize the old drive worked again!. After the failure last night
(system that had been up for a while had IRQ timeouts and failed to read th=
e=20
drive..then it wouldn't boot again afterwards on cold boot)

I tried to backup to tape, but it failed again. SO I rebooted again
This time I did a cp -rf to the NEW drive...then I tape backuped from there
(so I could repartition and restore the new drive)

You may see my error...cp -rf by root...and EVERY FILE becomes owned BY ROO=
T!
This has been a headache. The /home dirs were EASY to fix
but...the rest has been a blurr. The only other Debian systems I
have acess is  master.debian.org (as a package maintainer) and my one
at work, but...it is on DHCP and I don't have its current
IP adress (which I need to "slip behind" the firewall :) )

Is there any way to restore my system?
I have the following problems that I have identified:
1) mail stopped owkring - This I fixed withjh some educated guesses and pok=
ing
around on master (of course...master doesn't use exim..so I had to guess ab=
it)
but I would still like to see what an exim setup SHOULD be.

2) which doesn't work: (properly)
[sjc@Shit-Box sjc]$ which netscape
/usr/bin/which: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/bin/which: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/bin/X11/netscape

3) netscape doesn't work -=20
if I run it as /usr/lib/netscape/netscape it works fine...but from the warp=
per=20
script (OR as a symbolic link) I get:=20
[sjc@Shit-Box sjc]$ netscape
[: 0: unknown operand

That is it SO FAR. I am wondering if anyone has any advise?
Would it be possible for a few people to give me an ls -lR of /usr /var
/etc /boot /dev /bin /sbin ?
(ahd whetever else could be helpfull...but I think I got em all..obviously
I don't need /tmp, /hom e/proc etc)

ALl of my files are in  tact, and so are the file permissions...its just the
ownership that is screwed.

anyone willing to do this ...it will be greatly apreciated (btw I am runnin=
g a=20
somewhat recent hamm...so bo systems probably will be less than usefull)

if anyone is interested in helping otherwise...I could provide this of my=
=20
system...so you can see what is screwed up (of course...that would be a big
file
=2E..awwe hell I did that (for the curious anyway) it should be at
people.delphi.com/sjc/ls-lr.html soon

-Steve

--=20
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **