Re: How to clear screen before login prompt

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Jieyao wrote:

> I was trying to do a clear screen after I logout from the console before the
login
> prompt appears.

A better twist on all the clear suggestions that are shell specific:

$ clear >new.issue
$ edit new.issue # whatever editor you want
$ mv new.issue /etc/issue

Note that I put a lot of returns before the clear so that I can
<shift>-<pg up> to see what happened before I got logged out.  I simple
change of vt's prevents someone else from doing this.  This also prevents
a cleared screen after a closed telnet, something I don't like.

HTH,
Brandon

                                    --+--
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu> | Debian Testing Group Status
PGP Key:   finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu |  http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/deb/
    Dijkstra probably hates me (Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)