Re: Debian Package Manager "Worthless Junk"???

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.95.980707111331.20818K-100000@bay1.bjt.net>:

>I'm new to Linux and wavering between going with Red Hat and Debian. Could
>anyone comment on the strengths/weaknesses of the Debian package manager
>vs RH's RPM system?  Also does Debian provide some kind of Uninstall-type
>manager?

Well, Debian is in the process of switching package managers (apt),
and supposedly there's a project called "deity" that will supersede
all that has come before, but the current manager, dselect, can do
anything rpm can (including installing rpm files) and some other
things as well.

On the other hand, it's surprisingly and unnecessarily hard to use.
Also, it is not suitable for installing an entire system (you are
advised to install just the base system, then a few more packages,
then a few more . . .).  And it can't do automated installs, although
the "dpkg" system that underlies it could be scripted to do so.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net

"God never bothered to patent his stuff."  --Calvin