Re: Idea behind HAMM?

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Young, Ed wrote:

> Forgive me if this has been discussed or run into the ground. I only
> recently subscribed.
>
> I don't fully understand this release. This is a beta of 2.0 and is called
> frozen, but isn't it always being added to and tweaked? Frozen implies that
> it will not be further changed, but if I get a CD of 2.0 this week and one
> two weeks from now, will they be the same?

No.  It has been "frozen" in the sense that no new packages are being
added for a few months.  There is a (decreasing) list of bugs, however,
and as they are fixed, updates are put into the distribution.

> Is the idea that it is quite stable so it has been released to people who
> don't mind some flux but will encounter some ideosyncracies, but things will
> remain largly the same?

Sort of.

> At what point does HAMM go to stable and once it does, is it cast in stone?

I expect that once the "release-critical" bugs are gone, it will become
"stable".  Since it has progressed from unstable to frozen to beta over
the past few months it keeps getting closer to official release, which
hopefully will be soon.   There will be more bug fixes inevitably, of
course. There will probably also be some interim releases like 2.0r1 or
2.0.1, etc., before slink/2.1 gets to the release stage.  It is expected
that the release cycle for 2.1 will be much shorter, as the magnitude of
switching everything to libc6 was a much more significant change than,
say, the change from 1.2 to 1.3 was.

Bob

----