RE: Firewallsetup

> > My goal is to setup a firewall to protect my subnet like this:
> >
> > Internet
> > Cisco router 	(192.12.120.254)
> > Local net 192.12.120.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
> > FIREWALL eth0 = 192.12.120.190, eth1 = 192.12.120.202
> > Protected subnet 192.12.120.200 netmask 255.255.255.252
> >
> > This worked fine when I used masqurading and a fake net
> (192.168.2.0)
> > but not when I try to use real IP addresses and a subnet.
> This is the
> > firewall setup:
> >
> > (outside)
> > eth0:
> > IP = 192.12.120.190
> > Netmask = 255.255.255.0
> > Network = 192.12.120.0
> > Broadcast = 192.12.120.255
> > Gateway = 192.12.120.254
> >
> > (inside)
> > eth1:
> > IP = 192.12.120.202
> > Netmask = 255.255.255.252
> > Network = 192.12.120.200
> > Broadcast = 192.12.120.203
> > Gateway = 192.12.120.190
>
> you've got mismatched netmasks on the internal subnet and the external
> subnet. they won't be able to communicate with each other through the
> firewall/gateway box because all the machines on eth0 think that they
> have a full /24 (class C), and that
> 192.12.120.202/255.255.255.252 is on
> the local eth0 ethernet, not routed through the fw box.
>
> i'm not sure if i'm explaining this very clearly.
>
> from the nature of the mistake you've made, i think you need to read
> up on tcp/ip and on building firewalls before building one. subnetting
> isn't that difficult but it's easy to make mistakes if you don't
> understand how it works.
>
> unless you've got a good reason not to, stick with using private
> addresses (192.168.2.0) for your internal network....that
> makes building
> the firewall purely a routing and ipfw problem, and avoids
> the hassle of
> calculating netmasks.
>
> if necessary (e.g. for accounting purposes), you can even
> route between
> your external net and your internal 192.168.2.0 net....but then your
> internal network can be reached if hosts on your external net are
> compromised. security policies are always a tradeoff between
> convenience
> vs. security.

Thanx Craig.

I do need (I think) to use real IP addresses because I need to have
multiple web-servers (accessible from the Internet) inside the firewall
that should be protected. I thought it was possible to tell my fw box to
route all trafic between the two subnets. Is it possible to route eg
192.12.12.202 to a host on the private network eg 192.168.2.202?

Other solutions how to protect just a part of my C-net?

Best regard
Johannes.