Re: Missing (files)

Brandon Mitchell writes:

> On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Syed Huq wrote:
>
> > ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/stable/disks-i386/current/
> >
> > All the files are there except base14-1.bin ... base14-6.bin. Instead of
> > these, I see the files base-1.bin ... base-5.bin.
> >
> > Q1)Should I download the base-1.bin ... base-5.bin instead of the missing
> > base14-1.bin ... base14-6.bin ? My floppy drive is 1.44MB.
>
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/hamm/main/disks-i386/current/
> It's not stable yet.  I think the instructions need a little touch up.
>
> > I intend to buy a Debian CD and install from there. What was not clear in
> > the 'Installing Debian Linux 2.0' documentation is if I still need to
> > use all the floppies mentioned in section6.1 or are all these files for a
> > floppy installation only.
>
> I guess this may be considered a bit confusing (it's hard to tell when
> you've done it several times).  If you have the cd, all of these files
> will be one it.  You will need the resc1440 and drv1440 disks.  "root"
> isn't needed for 1.44 disks, and you only need the tecra for goofy
> laptops.  You can mount your cdrom and access base2.0.tgz from there.  Ok,
> I guess it is a little confusing.  The nice thing about the cd is that you
> can do a 0 floppy install by clicking on the install.bat if you have dos.
> Also, newer systems can boot from the cdrom, acheiving the same effect.

True, but in the wacky world of win9x and laptops, a 0 floppy install might
not be possible. I just installed Debian on a Compac laptop. The system came
pre-loaded with Win95. The problem was that the DOS mode lacked the proper
CDrom driver. Thanks to the floppy install available with Debian, I was able
to tame that "wrascly wabbit" and get a decent operating system on board.

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.3 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK