RE: What's a good video card?

I am running a mystique 2 4mb, is damn fast, with both windows and Xfree86,
it is a good fast 2d card.

BUT

It does not support a lot of the lower VESA2 resououtions (eg 400x300), this
will not cause any problems with linux, but in dos\windows stuff it can be a
real sh*t. - especially with games and PC-Demos (not game demos) - and
scitech dd only just helps to recitfy this problem some of the time - ie
hardly ever.

some programs have difficulty accesing the liner farme buffer, and hence
hang the machine. (again not linux specific)

its direct X, 3D accel. is naf, again not a problem with linux.

despite ati's refusal to release info, i believ the rage pro series do run
Xfree, the windows drivers are ok - the new drivers will be very welcome
tho. direct X 3D accel is very damn good, and full vesa 2 support.

Rick

EMAIL - kitty5@dial.pipex.com <mailto:kitty5@dial.pipex.com>
HOME - http://welcome.to/kitty5
         -  http://ds.dial.pipex.com/kitty5/
[Emulation, Raytracing, Linux, Games, PC Music]