Re: Getting notebook internal modem to work.

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Geoff Brimhall wrote:

: I recently got a rather brilliant pc notebook, and have been able to
: utilize just about everthing it has through debian and recompiling the
: kernel.
:
: Except for one thing - the internal modem.
:
: setserial does not detect the modem's COM port, nor the irq (it does
: register the regular external serial port though).
:
: In fact, something rather strange is going on with the modem because
: even Windoze did not register the modem's COM port until the driver
: was properly loaded for it.
:
: What Windoze registered, before the driver, was the DMA and IRQ of the
: device - but really had no idea what to do with it until the driver
: was loaded. Then suddenly the COM port was present.
:
: Any ideas on how to get it to work ? I've tried hard-coding setserial
: to use the IRQ and COM ports for the modem, but it just does not
: register anything. Somehow linux needs to link more tightly the DMA to
: the IRQ ?

[ eek, long lines ]

Sounds to me like it's a winmodem.  IIRC winmodems do not have a UART,
and they make the OS emulate the UART for them (it's been a while since
I read up on winmodems and why they are evil).

At any rate, the device not working at all until the Win Driver was
loaded is a dead giveaway.

If you can't get it working under DOS, it won't work under Linux.  Boot
to a DOS disk, and type:

	echo ATX0 > com3 (or wherever Windows thinks the modem is)
	echo ATDT0123456789

You should hear the modem try to dial - probably a good idea to
disconnect the phone line before trying this :)  Chances are good you'll
get an I/O error, and that means no COM port is present.  That means
you've got a Winmodem :/

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104