Re: Newbe Question - Setting up X11

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 01:16:07AM -0500, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> David R. Robison wrote:
> >
> > X: exec of /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_NONE failed
> >
> > Any idea what I've done wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> 	XF86_NONE indicates you haven't selected a default X server.  The
> server you use depends on your video hardware; look at the xserver-*
> packages (xserver-svga is probably the most common).  When you install a
> server it will ask if you want to make it the default server.  If you
> say yes then XF86_NONE will be removed.

Well, I seem to experience a problem like the one David describes, and
it has to do with the configuration scripts for xserver-vga16 &
xserver-svga (maybe others, but that two are the ones I install the
most), not respecting the default answer. I mean, they ask you
something like:

Do you want to make this the default X server [y]:

And if you just press <enter> accepting the default answer, there is
no action taken, if you press y and then <enter> it does set this X
server as the default. This happends in new installs of X (where there
is no xserver already configured), and when you have an X server
configured and want to change it (it does not get changed by the
default answer, you must key in "y").

I think this should be filled in a bug against the mentioned xservers,
but I don't know how to do it, sorry, maybe someone of you know how
and will do it. Also, I have not investigated how to fill a bug just
to report this, because I figured out this should be easyly noted by
everyone and that by this time someone had already filled the bug
report.

As to answer David's question, simpler thing to do is to uninstall and
then reinstall the xserver and this time typing y <enter> when it ask
you if you want it to be the default X server.

See you
Roberto Ruiz

--
LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [3456]86 PC's available NOW!