Re: Hard lock-up crashes, need some clues!

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> Very unpredictably(so far) my machine will lock-up hard.  I can't
> ctl-alt-del, no mouse or keyboard response, not even any jsr daemon
> response(uses joystick port to signal reboot).  The only indication in
> the logs are strings of binary characters showing up as ^@.  I have to
> hit the reset button and hope my hard drive isn't trashed.  Does
> anybody have any ideas of what to look for?

It could be a hardware problem.  My best guess is over heating.  Take the
cover off and put a fan next to it to see if that fixes the problem.

Good luck,
Brandon

                                    --+--
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu> | Debian Testing Group Status
PGP Key:   finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu |  http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/deb/
    Dijkstra probably hates me (Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)