Re: Re[2]: What's the state of gnome on debian ?

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Bob Bernstein wrote:

> Hmmm...I feel like offering a reminder that two of the .20 tarballs will not
> compile without surgery: in utils one must get rid of gdiskfree, and in admin
> get rid of gxsnmp. At least that's been mine, and several other's experience.
> I understand there's a fixed-up version of gxsmnp in the works, and that the
> gdiskfree problem is known and may have been fixed in the cvs tree. The latter
> however AFAIK, is still not open for anon download.

AnonCVS just came back up; give it a try. You may need to use a new server
name, like anoncvs.gnome.org. Do be nice to the server though, it's also
the Debian web server and some other stuff.

For compilation I recommend make -k. ;-)

> I too probably could benefit from reading up on the 'window-manager
> compliance' issue. I seem to be runnng the panel here with AfterStep 1.4.5 (I
> think that's the version <g>) with no problems other than the bugginess of
> some of the Gnome applets.

Gnome will work with a non-compliant window manager, it's just that "Gnome
compliance" will eventually give you extra-cool features. Right now it
lets you use the buggy pager applet and some more minor things, so it's
not too exciting.

Havoc Pennington ==== http://pobox.com/~hp