I hate smail and everything else!!!!

I am trying and trying and trying so hard to get my email to work on my
Debian 1.3 system, but nothing I ever do seems to work. I am going nuts.
Smail has somehow gotten halfway installed on my system and it wont go
away. If I try and remove smail with this command:

dpkg --force-remove-reinstreq --purge smail

I get this error:

(Reading database ... 18666 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing smail ...
Stopping smail daemon...failed.
no crontab for mail
dpkg: error processing smail (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
... hmm, can't open /etc/smail/config?
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 smail

I really want to get smail off my system and never want to see it again.
What I have been trying to do is set qmail, which I think I have gotten
set up but I don't know. I have tried to install Elm about 300 times
today with debian packages and compiling it myself, but none of that
works either. If I try and install the Debian package for Elm it
complains that smail is not configured. Do I have to have smail
configured in order to use Elm. I would really like to use qmail. I have
also tried to install Pine. I just need a MUA running so I can see if
qmail is setup right. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith
nfn11988@naples.net

You only get one chance at life, but if you do it right, you only need one.

			http://www.naples.net/~nfn11988