win95/NT vrs. Linux For profetional program development

we're now using a win 95 system in order to develop a comercial system
(software and hardware)
I am considering to try to move the system to a unix/linux base
instead. So i was wondering what are the pro's and cons of such a
switch.
That includes: How dificult is it for a programer to make the switch
to programing for X instead of win95.
Also what software is there to develop programs (Compiler
environments) and to develop man/machine interface.
I'm looking for a c/c++ based system. There is no problem with
purchasing commercial programs if they exist.
I'm looking for something of the sort of Visual c++.
any information is welcome.
Thanx