scsi drive recognition problems

I've been having problems when (re)installing the Debian distribution using
the 2.0.8_1998-06-23 *14* installation disk images.

On two different systems, with two different Adaptec controllers (AHA-2940AU
and AHA-7880), I have had major problems getting the rescue disk to recognize
my second scsi drive.

I have not had this problem (at all) with the 2.0.6_1998-05-12 distribution
disks.

At times, I have had to revert to using the 2.0.6_1998-05-12 set, rather than
use the newer 2.0.8 set (it's only been recently - and even then, with
difficulty [I get timeout errors, if the second drive is recognized at all])
to get both disks to be 'seen' by the installation media.

I am using one IBM DCAS-34330W, and one IBM DCAS-34330 (drives a and b in that
order).

I don't know what the problem is, other than maybe a 'newer and better'
aic7xxx driver being used.  There are no errors generated when the second
drive isn't found; only when it is, and then (sometimes) timeout errors.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to 'fix' this, I'd appreciate it if
they'd let me know.

Thanks,

Richard Paynter
(taren@c719777-a.frmt1.sfba.home.com)