Re: More Can't Copy 161MB

On Fri, 03 Jul 1998, Dennis Dixon wrote:
>I did in fact forget to put a destination in my cp command.
>
>After deleting the '/root/core' file, freeing up some space, I tried to:
>           'cp -a /usr/* /mnt/linuxfiles/'
>
>But I got a whole bunch of "operation not permitted" errors, so I aborted
>the process. Apparently, the dos side won't save my symlink files, etc.. Now
>my problem is to get rid of the remaining files I copied on to the D: drive.
>Windows won't recognize a lot of them.  So to delete all of them from the
>linux side requires many, many 'rm *', 'cd ..', 'rmdir *' commands.  This
>would be better handled with a script that did all these commands.  Is there
>a script or a command somewhere I could use to accomplish these nested deletes.

'rm -r' removes directories and all their files and subdirectories
recursively.

>I still haven't solved the original problem of how to repartition the 'hda6'
>partition.  Are my only options to install ftape and back up the files or to
>just reinstall from scratch?

You could go out and get Partition Magic.  It's an excellent program
for dealing with partitions which allows you to resize certain types
of partitions (such as fat and fat32).  It's the only program of its
kind that can resize, as far as I know.  With it, you could resize
your windows partition to be smaller and give the space to another
ext2 partition.

Eric.

--
 _____  _