Re: debian for public stations

> I am new to the list and am investigating some options for configuring our
> publically accessible PCs.  Through various upgrades and other developments
> we are also assembling a growing base of 486DX stations with 16 MB RAM. One
> option we are exploring is to use debian on these units. Linux has
> smaller requirements than windows and might make it possible to get some
> additional mileage out of this equipment.
>
> Has anyone put together a minimally configured and locked-down system with
> debian ? I am running a graphical java application and some x-windows
> applications.

If by minimal you mean 486DX with 16 MB RAM, I am running a AMD486DX4
100 MHz system at home and it does work nicely with X11.  I compile
stuff, program, edit, use TeX and XFig with it.  If you want to do
heavy computational stuff or graphics manipulation, it is a bit slow
though.

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032