Where is the vfat, dos support in 2.0.34 ????

I just installed 2.0.34-3 source and make config did not mention the
"DOS" flesystems .... also tried rm .config but they do not show up.

kernel compiled and installed just fine and runs flawlessly but of
course my

mount -t vfat /dev/hdb6 /DATAFILES

command failes with " ... vfat not supported by the kernel ... "

linux/fs/filesystems.c mentions them ...

What am I doing wrong ???? I would badly need support for vfat and if
possible for FAT32 ... Thank you in advance for any help.
--
Robert Alexander - IBM Italy
work e-mail : rja@raleigh.ibm.com