Re: [Debian] Running Linux from CD

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@earthlink.net> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 03:21:33PM +0200, Niklas H=F6glund wrote:
> > > is it possible to run Linux completely from CD. We have created
> >=20
> > I think older versions of Red Hat supported this.  I remember reading
> > something about it on Red Hat 4.2.  RH4.2 was said to no longer support
> > this.
[...]
> The message before this one explains how to make a CD with defaults and a
> throwaway /var and /etc.  I think instead I would in order to make this
> thing not just a demo but actually useful in a place that you can't have
> Linux (goin' to friend's house, friend has Windoze but I wanna use Linux)
> I'd have some way to use a loopback filesystem on the HD to save defaults
> like X settings and such.
>
> Could be quite useful.  I'll look in to building something to do this if
> nobody else has once I start working on the Zip version of the same.  More
> will fit on the CD-ROM, but the Zip is more upgradable and I can build the
> Zip disks custom from a mirror..  =3D>

There exist plans to include a "live filesystem" on the contrib CD,
for backup/restore purposes. Plans though are early and not much
has been done, yet.

Jens
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37

Nothing works better as it is supposed to. (Steven Chu)