Re: kern.log: Unable to load interpreter ???

> Andy Spiegl wrote:
> >
> > Hi again,
> > my hamm, 2.0.33 system, so that a lot(!) of smail processes were
> > started.  Soon I couldn't start any more processes and saw this
> > error message on the console:
> >  Unable to load interpreter
> >
> > And in the /var/log/kern.log:
> >  Jul  1 16:55:27 kira kernel: Unable to load interpreter
> >
> > What interpreter is this talking about???  Is this a bug or a feature?
>
> Accorrding to the kernel source, it will generate this error if it tries and
> fails to load the interpreter for elf binairies. Presumably, it failed
> because you had overloaded the system. (Though that seems a touch weird to
> me.)

Not that it should be really, I did some programming on a low,low spec box
in the labs and noticed it a few times ... A good way to reproduce it is
to sequentially call malloc with increasingly higher values in a
background process. The OS wouldn't crash (at least to my experience) but
... it might be a while recovering even after you kill the offending
process

		Jonathan

	Two monkeys discussing evolution,...
Said one to the other, the really issue here is, am I my keepers brother