Deselect won't connect via ftp

I ran deselect to ftp.debian.org to do a dry run on the upgrade after
running autoup.sh and could not get connected. I passed all the other info
and after choosing directory /debian
and
dists/frozen/main dists/frozen/non-free dists/frozen/contrib

the deselect session kept telling me it couldn't connect but would I like to
try to reconnect at once. I kept choosing yes but it would immediately
return and ask me again.

I tried to ftp by hand to ftp.debian.org and had no problem at all. Of
course, I can't upgrade this way. The user quota was low too.

It would seem that there is some problem with deselect or how it is
configured on my system.

I've used deselect on another system to add packages via ftp and have had no
problems. This problem system is based on the same version of debian 1.3.1.

I can supply whatever info in necessary if someone has questions about the
system.

Thanx in advance,

Ed

Ed Young                           (303)706-5425
NL7FU
ed.young@echostar.com
eyoung@carbon.cudenver.edu
Echostar Technology Corporation