Re: X hates me after hardware upgrade

On Tue, Jun 30, 1998 at 04:09:27PM -0700, Ian Eure spewed forth:

> > > (--) SVGA: S3 ViRGE chipset: please load "libs3v.a" module
> > > (--) SVGA: CHIPS: chip revision: 6
> > > (--) SVGA: Chipset: ct65530
> > > (--) SVGA: CHIPS: no monitor detected.
> > > (**) SVGA: CHIPS: 4096 kB VRAM
> > > (--) SVGA: CHIPS: TFT probed.
> > > (--) SVGA: CHIPS: CRT
> > > (--) SVGA: CHIPS: PI Bus
> > > (--) SVGA: CHIPS: Depth 16 only supported with linear addressing
> > > (--) SVGA: chipset:  generic
> > > (**) SVGA: videoram: 4096k
> > > (--) SVGA: clocks:  25.18
> > >
> > > (**) SVGA: 16bpp not supported for this chipset
> > >
> > >  *** A configured device found, but display modes could not be resolved.***

A little summary, and then an update on my situation here.  Ian Eure was kind
enough to walk through the above errors for me and concluded that things were
"weird" in that the SVGA server seemed to be detecting three video adapters
when, in fact, only an STB Nitro 3D (ViRGE GX chipset) was installed.  I
previously had the Nitro working in my old machine and I had copied that
XF86Config over to my new machine.

I just pulled the Nitro, replaced it with a spare #9 Motion 771 (S3 968),
installed the S3 server and told my XF86Config about it.  I changed no other
hardward, software of BIOS settings, but I have X again.

Since the Nitro was easily outperforming the 771 for me, I'd like to get it
working again in the new machine.  Any ideas why it might not be working?  The
motherboard is an ASUS PE5NP4 with dual P133's installed.

Thanks...

PeeWee

--
email: peewee@scc.mi.org - useless: http://www.scc.mi.org/peewee/ - efnet: Pwe
 "Persons with names like Sierra or Sequoia will not be permitted to sing the