Re: e2fsck

On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 02:12:03AM +0800, Jieyao wrote:

> I had a few question regarding e2fsck.
>
> Can I assume e2fsck is something like Norton Disk Doctor for Linux.
Yes, in that it checks and repairs linux ext2fs partitions.

> When I run it, it gave me
> /dev/hda1 is mounted.  Do you really want to continue (y/n)?
> What is the danger of continuing?
Well... if the fs is mounted read-write, and fsck changes anything, when the
kernel goes to flush the data in the disk cache to the drive, you can get fs
corruption. If you want to fsck, make sure the partition is unmounted or mounted
read-only.

> When I do a forced check on bootup (using shutdown -F) I almost always get
> some error, like zreo dtime and wrong information or stuff like that, and it auto
> fixes. The problem is after that those file that are so called 'fixed' will be
> missing.
zero dtime is nothing special and should be ignored. Check under the lost+found
directory on the root of that fs and see if files are turning up.

> What is happening? What are the causes of the errors? How can I prevent
> them?
Sounds like either a bad drive or a corrupted fs. Backup your data (if you can)
mkfs the drive, check for bad blocks, and go from there.

> TIA!
>           __o   __o   __o   __o
> __________\_))__\_))__\_))__\_))___________.
>  ----------\-----------\--------
>           R   O   W   I   N   G
> Jieyao  <jieyao@letterbox.com>  ICQ 836655
>
> Don't waste your computer's time.
> Join the Singapore RC5 Effort now!
> <http://www.raffles.nus.edu.sg/~rekcah/rc5/>
>

> --

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :