printing problem

I'm having problems printing on a newly upgraded hamm system, and was
wondering if anyone else has run into this.  Yesterday I used the autoup.sh
script, followed by 3 rounds with dselect (apt method), to perform the bo
-> hamm upgrade.  Everything appeared to have gone perfectly.  But now if I
do "ls -l|lpr", for example, I get the following messages:

lpr: connect: No such file or directory
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

As far as I can tell, everything's as it should be with the spool
directory, and all the files named in /etc/printcap exist with appropriate
permissions. Also, none of the logfiles seem to be showing any messages
relating to this.

Any ideas what I should look at?