Re: Problem with ppp-2.3.3-5 and authentication

> > I've only just joined this list, so I don't know if this has been
> > discussed before.  I'm using ppp-2.3.3-5 and mgetty-1.1.14-1 to run a
> > one-modem dialup.  Everything works just fine until pppd goes to verify
> > the username/password, which always fails with "PAP authentication
> > failure for <username>".  I've verified the username/password and they're
> > valid.  Can someone give me some pointers on where to look next or what
> > the problem might be?
>
>     From the error message you are receiving, it appears that your
> ISP is using PAP authentication.

I used Kppp (from KDE) for installing my modem-connection. I did it the
first time but kde (in form of kppp) nearly did everything alone. It
even changes ip-settings when I use the modem instead of the ethernet,

And with kppp it is even easier to install than with the dumb
win95-prgs.

You can get the KDE-Beta4-deb-files at ftp://ftp.kde.org somewhere in
stable/dists...

Gernot
Gernot Bauer               Salzburger Kredit- und Wechsel-Bank AG
eMail: org@skwb.co.at (Office)       Makartplatz 3, 5020 Salzburg
Home: Gernot.Bauer@jk.uni-linz.ac.at               Austria/Europe
                                         Phone: ++43-662-8684-364
The answer is yes, me.                     Fax:  ++43-662-8684-23