How to build Debian Linux cluster?

Hi,

  I have a question about organising Debian Linux cluster for small physics
experiment.  Half a year ago we bought a PC and I am running Debian 2.0 on it.
 My colleagues who usually work on X-terminals noticed certain advantages of
PC compared to X-terminal and basically the idea is instead of buying extra 5
X-terminals to buy 5 PC.  I think I understand how to maintain single-computer
system, but I have very little experience with clusters.

  So far they want PC just to be an X-terminal, but I beleive they will be
interested in it's computing power very soon.

  Questions:

1. What is better: one powerfull central computer surrounded by many little
ones?  OR democratic society of equal computers?

2. Is it easy to "clone" debian systems?  How should one maintain it?

3. What are the recommendations about hardware specific to clusters would you
make?

4. Any useful resources on this matter?  (Basically how to approach the
problem).

Thanks you,
Sasha.