Re: linux shutdown

HAHA go ahead and use his system tho ;)
sync;sync;halt
is the same as sync;sync;shutdown -h now
on most systems now (at least on both RedHat and Debian it is)
Halt checks the current runlevel..and if the runlevel is not 0 then it executes
shutdown -h now on its own...this is a saftey catch
The OLD behaviour was that if you executed "halt" it would halt the system dead
right
thenm and there
this was very damaging to systems (unless you did sync;sync;halt..which as
you pointed out also has a little bug in it ...in that it can fail to work)
so in more recent versions both halt and reboot were given little
built in wrappers to make sure that they did no damage...
however I caution you not to sync;sync;halt
because its a bad habit..and on systems other than recent linuxes
it coul dbe bad
-Steve

Joey Hess wrote:

> Arunas Norvaisa wrote:
> >  Have RTFMing and am using 'shutdown -r now' to restart my system.
> > BUT our system (Netware/Unix) admin (really old and experienced
> > 'wolf') have told me that he's using 'sync;sync;halt' and have tried
> > to persuade me to use 'his' command.
>
> That method is pretty dumb for use on a multi-user system (just consider
> what happens if a process writes to disk between the last sync and the halt).
> If you go to single-user mode first, it's ok, but still not the best thing.
>
> --
> see shy jo
>
> --

I am back to nothing worthwhile of a SIG again
if you want my pgp key though check out:
http://www.gis.net/~sjc/pgp.asc
(BTW Thanx allot Noah for pointing out why putting my pgp key here was
a bad idea...now I hafta find a new funny quote or something for here)