Re: Updating /etc/modules (was Re: Wierd linux/debian problem)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Ossama Othman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Perhaps we could consider having "make moudles_install" disable (ie
> > comment out) any modules mentioned in /etc/modules that are not compiled
> > into the current kernel.  I would suggest that this shouldn't be done
> > automatically, but should instead prompt the user for the change.
>
> This sounds interesting.  How would this be integrated into Debian without
> messing around with the Kernel makefiles?  I'm assuming that we want to
> leave the kernel source in a vanilla state.  Does Debian use a vanilla
> version of the kernel sources or does it modify them some way, besides
> standard patches?
>
> What would be really nice is a Debianized kernel
> configuration/build/install front end to make it easier for newbies to
> configure the kernel and install modules.  ...wishful thinking, I know.
> :)
>
> -Ossama

Hmmm....must admit I forgot that the kernel source was not "Debianized".
Another suggestion may be to modify depmod (or modprobe) to verify that
the module is not statically compiled first before it begins attempting to
load the module.....alternately we just leave it all alone and remember
clean /etc/modules ourselves ;)

Chris