Re: Betr.: Re: Linux + Win95 + Win NT on one HD

Sorry, I hit wrong button and previous message got sent
before it was supposed to

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998 Philipp.Kirsch@sey.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for your help on this topic. Now it works! I did it this way:

You're welcome

> 1. Delete any existing partitions (have you all backed up??)
> 2. Create with fdisk (MSDOS program) one primary Win 95 partition (1.6 GB)
> 3. Install Win 95
> 4. Run Debian Rescue Disk and partition the rest of the hard disk as
> follows:
>      - hda2 primary for Win NT (you can set the file type to any value you
> want)
>      - hda3 as / (root) for Linux
>      - hda5 as swap
>      - hda6 and so on (as you like)
> This means I have three primary paritions and one extended with two logical
> partitions
> 5. Install Linux on hda3 to hda6, but don't make it bootable (if you want
> to use the NT boot loader)
> 6. Copy the bootsector from Linux as described in the Win NT and Linux Mini
> How To
> 7. Install Win NT on hda2 (Win NT will show you all partitions on the
> drive)
> 8. Add Linux and the file bootsect.lnx to the NT boot loader as described
> in the Win NT and Linux Mini How To

snip

I have 3  small primary partitions; two with Win95, one with MSDOS.
Linux is on extended partition. The Win95 directories are on
large logical partitions.  I can use MS or Linux fdisk
to mark any of primary partitions active, and boot up on any
of the OS's. I am using floppy to boot Linux, but I plan  use
loadlin or Lilo on the extended partition.  hda1 is my production
MS partition. hda2 will be experimental; I will try installing and
uninstalling software on that drive before I install on hda1.
I will install NT on hda2, and if there are no surprises, I will
install NT on hda1.  If I screwup, I won't feel badly about reformatting
hda2.  The MSDOS partition is for applications that don't run properly
under Win95.

I wanted multiple bootable MS (and Linux) OS's. Linux was no problem
since the root file can be on any logical partition. However
MS bootable OS's must be on a primary partition on the first
drive. Hence all this work.

King