Re: Garbage after typing pppd-d

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Michael A. Endsley wrote:

> I have tried searching for my answer, but have missed it (I guess).
> After connecting to my ISP through Minicom, I do 'Ctrl-A Q' and get back to
> my root prompt.
> I then type 'pppd-d' (or 'pppd'). All I get is the garbage that I see when
> ppp is started under
> Minicom. Any ideals why this is?

This is because pppd defaults to trying to start a PPP connection on
stdout.  pppd needs several command line parameters in order to work
correctly.  You need to specify things like what port your modem lives on
and how fast that port can go.

If you prefer not to use command line params you can put all the options
you need in /etc/ppp/options

For more info see:

The pppd(8) man page  (man pppd)
the PPP-HOWTO  (available all over the web)
on your local system /usr/doc/ppp/* (especially /usr/doc/ppp/examples/*)

l8r, Nate

---
Nathan C. Burnett              "Everyone is born right-handed, but
nate@acm.org                      only the greatest overcome it."
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~burnet26    -Slogan, Left-Handers' Club of Ireland
            ( ( (((In Stereo Where Available))) ) )