Re: Debian 2.0

>       A get a mixed bag from this.... a lot of people say Debian 2.0 is stable
>and fine to upgrade from 1.3.  Then.. there are people who say that Debian 2.0
>breaks applications.  I am willing to upgrade again... but these are my
>concerns.
>
>last time i did it.. all went well. but X was killed.  I do NOT think i upgrade
>the X package to get glibc2 X libs.  Is this the cause?  And... after upgrading
>libs, I can just run the Accelerated X binary and I should be ok?  (somewhat
>answered before, but i want to verify, all i do is do minimal installation for
>x, right?)
>
>I run Bind (forgot which ver... pretty sure the newest one)
>
>Sendmail 8.8.8....
>
>apache httpd (pretty sure the newest one)
>
>staroffice
>
>file runner
>
>pine and fetchmail
>
>netscape 4.05
>
>xwpe (Windows Programming Environment)
>
>Can anyone see any impending problems with me "upgrading from 1.3R6" to 2.0?  I
>think I can fix the X problem... that is the main thing.  Plus.. it would be bad
>if any of the apps I mentioned above fail or act oddly in Debian 2.0.  If there
>is ANY oddity... please tell me.  I do not want to upgrade if that is the
>case...
>
>Thanks in advance guys, this will save me a lot of trouble!
>

>Carroll Kong

Well, when I upgraded I found that a lot of my old programs had
dependencies that conflicted with new versions - qt1 and qt1g for
example. Basically, you should try and upgrade in one go, downloading
new versions from either stable or unstable, and not mixing the two too
much.

Graham Pople (graham@jalna.demon.co.uk)
SNES emulators at Emulation One (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/index.htm)
All emulators at E1 Newsletter (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/e1news.htm)