Re: Pioneer DRM-602X multi-CD player and AHA-2940AU with Debian 1.3.1?

On Sat, Apr 04, 1998 at 02:16:33AM +0200, Cleto Pescia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get a Multi-CD player Pioneer DRM-602X to work on a Debian
> 1.3.1 system (kernel 2.0.33 custom-compiled using make-kpkg) with
> an Adaptec 2940AU SCSI controller, but without luck...
> The various CD-ROM drives get different LUNs at boot-up, but then I get
> timeout errors while trying to mount the CDs.
> The SCSI chain also contains a Samsung SCSI HDD (ID 0), a SCSI CD-ROM
> drive from MediaVision (ID 1) and an HP DAT C1533A streamer (ID 2).
> As far as I can tell, termination is OK, as is the external SCSI cable.
> The kernel SCSI options also seem to be correctly set.

I know your problem. With my Pioneer DRM-624x everything was the same:
Timeouts while trying to mount all luns at a time. First
I tried to increase the timeout in the kernel sources - but unfortunately
that introduced other problems.

Then I hacked a small shell script that does mounting/unmounting of all
luns. After each mount, it waits 5 seconds before it attempts to mount
the next lun. Simple. No timeouts during mounting/unmounting.

But still if two or more processes access different discs, timeouts may
occure. Since it's foobar to access two different discs of a changer at
a time (the cd changer does 99.9% changing and 0.1% reading data),
I can live with it.

Bjørn