Where did my init.d/boot go?

Since hamm was frozen, I started the process of updating my bo system.
I've been running hamm now for a week or so, and using FTP to update all of my out-of-date
packages.
Last night I installed some of the new packages, ( of which the only important one I remember
was sysvinit ), and when I rebooted my system, I was no longer able to open a tty, and thus
even though I logged in, and Linux validated my password, it was unable to give me a shell.

After examining the boot messages, and seeing a line that said 'unable to find /etc/init.d/boot',
I booted up from a beautiful little slackware rescue disk, and saw that my boot was now boot.OLD.

How do I find out what package did this?

I assume that whatever package moved my boot to boot.OLD, was intending to write a new file.
Do I need this new boot file?  My system seems to be running fine w/ my old boot.

Bill Van Devender